Comparing conventions of digipaks from different genres.
After finding the CD cases of Portugal The Man ( PTM) and David Bowie (DB) in my house I decided to identify the codes and conventions of each CD case to see if the difference between rock (DB) and alternative (PTM) affected the disipak conventions.
PTM:
DB:


Codes and conventions to include:
Tracklist
Album art work
Record label
Barcode
Extra information
Album and artist name
Learning comment
From this I have learnt what to include in a digipak and the format of a digipak. I have also learnt the history of the digipak to gain a greater understanding of why I will design my final piece in this format. Moving forward I will now know the necessary codes and conventions to include on my digipak and the appropriate size for the album. I have also learnt that specific genres of music vary their approach to designing a digital drastically. For example, for the pop digital (Jess glenn's album) pastel pink colours were used. This was a harsh comparison to the indie album cover (The 1975) which had a high contrast in colour between the white and the black. Colour scheme was definitely the must defining factors when distinguishing between genres of music and therefore is something I will have to carefully think about when designing my own digipak. I also learnt through analysing the codes and conventions of my own CD cases that although different genres have the same codes and conventions they are not necessarily always in the same place. For example the bands name on the alternative/ indie album cover was only on the binding compared to the rock genre albs which was on the front. Depending on the genre of song i pick to produce, this is something I will have to be careful of when designing my own digipak.
No comments:
Post a Comment