Research

Monday, 11 September 2017

Theoretical analysis - 8.2


Learning comment

From this I have learnt that a range of media theories are used in videos to help develop a narrative. A lot of the theories also challenge stereotypes of the genre of the songs I looked at. For example "who runs the world" by BeyoncĂ© is an R&B song however, it promoted women empowerment which is not stereotypical of the genre. However, some theories reinforced stereotypes of the genre. For example Lacan's "mirror theory" was used in Justin Biebers song "what do you mean". This is typical of the pop genre as male artists are often presented as role models for a male target demographic. To conclude, I have learnt that theories can be used to either challenge codes and conventions of a genre or stick with the stereotypes. I feel that it may be more difficult to challenge codes and conventions of a genre rather than use typical conventions. Therefore, I will have to refer closely to theories when creating my music video in order to challenge these conventions in a way which is recognised by media theories.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconstructing the digipak

Text Colour scheme Images For the reconstruction of the digipak, I decided to use bolder colours compared to the washed out ones I us...