Research

Friday, 10 November 2017

Digipak planning - choosing a font

One of my main concerns when picking a font was finding a font which wouldn't distract from the albums image. The reason I liked this font was because it was bold but it still wouldn't detract from the album image. However, I think because its sans serif it is not detailed enough and is not representative of the genre. In addition to this I felt as though the font was too futuristic which may work well for the house genre but did not work well for an indie rock band. I will continue to look at some more fonts, perhaps with serif. 




This font was a lot more interesting and appropriate than the previous font due to the serif. However, although this font was serif, it was not as bold as I would have liked. The font also seems too formal almost like the text out of a book. Therefore, I will continue to look for fonts with serif but which still continue to have a bold text. 




This final text I really liked because I felt it was representative of the genre and would stand out from the background. The curved letters made the font less formal than the previous font I chose and made it even more interesting. Despite being bold the font is still easy to read due to well aligned letters and clear letter shapes.However, I am still undecided whether to choose this font or the previous font and therefore will ask for the opinion of my target demographic.

                    Daniel (19)                                   Ellie (15)                                      Annie (17)

    



                  Simon (40's)                               Charlotte (17)                                Jasmine (17)

    


From doing this audience research I have learnt that my target demographic prefer the second font. However, a lot of people still claimed that even though the second font was more interesting than the first it still wasn't memorable. Therefore, I would like to alter my band logo some more on photoshop referring to my band logo inspiration in order to create an interesting design suited for the indie rock genre. 


One of the first things I did was put the text onto photoshop. I erased the letter "A" and inserted an image of a triangle into the document. 



I resized the triangles so that they would blend in with the font and look like the letter A. I also recoloured the text so that is was blue and grey. In order for the serif elements of the letters to stand out from the background, I also made them more bold. This will ensure that the text is easy to read from a distance which is very important on a digipak. 





This was my final outcome. Doing the text inspiration was very helpful as it enabled me to decided that I wanted a bold font with the gaps of vowels filled in. I feel as though this font is perfect for the alt rock genre of music as its unusual design will stand out against an appropriate image and the serif font makes the design more interesting.


Learning comment 

From this I have been able to develop a font which is appropriate for my band and appealing for my target demographic. The audience research has also provided me with details on what my target demographic looks for in a design which turned out to be a bold simple image or text. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reconstructing the digipak

Text Colour scheme Images For the reconstruction of the digipak, I decided to use bolder colours compared to the washed out ones I us...